Friday, January 30, 2009

Yay and Yeah

I am constantly confused when I write and read yeah, yay, and yea. I copied the ideas from this site and thought I'd share with you:
  • Yeah - pronounced ye-uh as in yes
    "Hey Jen, are you going to with us to the mall."- girl a; "Yeah, I’ll go"- girl b
  • Yay - rhymes with and is a synonym of hooray. It’s used in cases of excitement.
    "Did I tell you I won an ipod?" - girl a; "No! Oh that is exciting. Yay!" - girl b
  • Yah - is also an expression of agreement but there is no excitement.
    "Hey are you ready to go" - girl a; "yah" - girl b
  • Ya - means you
    "How are ya?"
  • Yea - is a very old-fashioned formal way of saying “yes,” used mainly in voting. It’s the opposite of—and rhymes with—“nay.”
    "All in favor say yea, all opposed nay."
  • and if that wasn’t confusing enough yay can also refer to height, as in "when I was yay big" [holding hand up]
I was mostly surprised with the the word yea, because I didn't know it was used in voting and measuring.

One thing I really need to work on is spelling their correctly. If I spell it correctly it's because of spell check. I automatically spell thier like that. The other day Michael wrote it correctly and didn't give it a second thought. their theri theri thier thier their . Now I'm really confused.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

huh!

i guess i've always used yea! when i meant yay! hmmm. will have to change my tune...

you and gretchen are cracking me up lately.

Mel said...

Oops... I've been writing it wrong. When I say "yeah", I really mean "YAY". so funny.

Uh, don't expect me to remember it right.

Carin Davis said...

It is so funny...I struggle with this on every post/comment...NOW I know!!! THANK YOU! I think I need to print and laminate it!

Shan said...

Yay for Alison! Thanks. I needed this one, too.

Sue said...

You are funny... I've never had a problem with any of these words. I guess I picked the right major!