Who's this guy? Richard Lindon. Thanks to Rich we now have the football. He is believed to have invented the football with rubber bladders. Lovely. Footballs were first made with pig bladders. Think about that the next time you're watching the game. Yes indeed, it's that time of year! It all started August 1st when Max began football practice. The big day is this Saturday when the Utes play at the Big House. Two from this household are going. One isn't me. I get to stay home with our other 4 kids. Did you just ask me if I have issues about this? I actually don't have issues with them going. I know they'll have a blast.Who would think I would have a long post about football? Here are some random facts about my life with football.
1. My dad use to watch football ALL the time. I use to think it was all the time. It was only Sundays and Mondays "back then." He would fall asleep while watching it. My sister and I would change the channel while he was snoring. I wanted to watch Little House on the Prairie. As soon as we would change the channel he'd wake up instantly and say "HEY! I was watching that." Whatever Dad!
2. My dad would take me to Oakland Raider games as well as San Francisco 49er games. I really don't think I watched it. I am sure I cared more about the food.
3. Claim to Fame: My dad was friends with John Madden. I have no idea why they were friends but I am positive my sister can tell you. She remembers EVERYTHING.
4. I didn't realize how obsessed Andy was with football until we were first married. It was raining outside so Andy opted to watch the game at home. When he turned it to the local station he WAILED "It's an infomercial!" We then got on our rain gear and headed to the stadium. All of Andy's friends thought I was the "coolest" wife to sit out in the rain during the game. I thought I was insane.
5. I can never remember how to play the sport when the season starts. By the end of the season I remember most of the rules. I have to start all over again when the season begins.
6. There are way more politics involved when watching your child's football game. We've done soccer, basketball, and baseball. By far, football is the worst. Every parent knows the game perfectly and is a way better judge than the coach or referee. If you dislike the all-knowing football parents I recommend you sit by me.
7. I hear about football ALL SEASON long. If it's not about Max's games, it's about the U. Not only after the game but during the week as well. We record all Utah games on our TV. Andy watches the games over and over. I ask him why he watches them so much and he says it's something about the plays.
8. I guess being obsessed with football is okay. It gives people something to look forward to. Just like the new obsession with the Twilight series, people are obsessed with football. Another note, I have not read one of those books and probably never will. I do have other things I look forward to like my daily doses of Diet Coke and the season premiere of The Office. What happens when the Utes play on a Thursday, the same night as The Office? Luckily our recorder will tape both at the same time.
Now....go play ball!!!
4 comments:
I like this post! fun facts that are interesting. I, myself, have become a college football fan ever since I married my husband who is a Husker Fan. I actually really enjoy college football and would gladly go to games. NFL, on the other hand, not so much. Well, when Zach gets old enought to play football I will have to get some pointers from you on dealing with all of those "know it all" parents
I am learning about sports and how young they start boys! I was talking to a lady yesterday at Calebs soccer game and she said they have tackle football for 8 year olds! I guess I grew up in a small town where those things just weren't available. Have fun this season!
Great post! We sit on opposite sides of the bench, but when it comes to husbands who are obsessed with football, we both understand each other very well. :)
did you know John Madden owns most of downtown Pleasanton? So he's not only a close family friend but also neighbor!
This time of year always reminds me of marching band. Nerd!
Post a Comment