
Who is this man? Duh, it's John Adams! The second President of the United States. He's the subject of a report that Max had to write. Max came home two days ago and told me he needed to do his report. I called Andy and asked him if he knew where the report information was. I told him if Max is asking to do his report it's because all the over-achievers have started turning
their reports in early. So who really wrote the report? Andy, my mom, and myself were begging Max to let us help him. NOT! Does your third grader know these words and can they apply them to
their hero? Here are some of the words: sacrifice, determination, loyalty, courage, intrepidity, valor, gallantry, fortitude and
perseverance. Have your child read
Wikipedia on John Adams and then tell you about his intrepidity. By 9 pm, the three adults in this home were at each others throats. I had no patience to sit at the computer and try to explain to Max the Stamp Act. I got my mom to look at the computer and she started getting frustrated as well. When we gave the assignment to Andy, he started losing it. During this time there were three children in the same room, trying to, I don't know, get attention. Andy worked on the report while I took Max into the kitchen to work on his regular homework. Here's the question we needed to work on: What are the differences and
similarities of a compound word and a contraction? I look at my mom who has her Master Degree in English. "Go ahead Max, write out a couple of answers to these questions." Not so easy. I have to ask my mom to remind me of a contraction, knowing it's not the things I wish I was having to put me into labor. Mom was assigned to help Max with that homework. In between all of this, the whole family soothed
their anxiety by eating frozen custard. I chewed on ice cubes. It was a lovely evening. I am learning that as a parent it's really my homework/projects. A couple of months ago, Max had to write a book report and make this pyramid to display all the facts about the book. Needing special help, I went into the classroom to ask the teacher how to make the pyramid. I helped Max read through his book and I made a kick-butt pyramid for his report. I was very disappointed when Max brought my book report home with no grade on it. I wanted to see something like "great job" "A" or "spectacular". No, nothing was there. Max could care less about the report. I actually found the report on the coat rack outside of the classroom. I think it had been there for two weeks. Has anyone read in "What to Expect When Your Expecting" how to help your kids with
their homework? No one really told me how to do this. I know one thing for sure, Andy will be doing any Science Fair projects for the kids. I'm done!
3 comments:
Wait until he gets assigned to do a diarama...MAJOR contention (times two) at our house. We "let it go" as parents and "let" them do the majority of the work themselves and they were soooo proud of themselves...then it was time to turn them in... Some of those diaramas were INCREDIBLE (a great job done by the parents...) John actually went back the next day with the video camera so I could see just how out of control some of them were. Also, 4th grade math SUCKS! It's really fun as the parent when you don't even know how to help them. Is this a long enough comment, or what? Do you think you've struck a cord with me? I'm sorry you weren't in the Hospital holdint teo babies while all of that crap was going on at home...
Jordan could have cared less about projects. I always had to tell him to step it up. Brynn on the other hand turns in projects that look like scrapbook pages! She's intense. I have been known to do coloring and artistic help but the content is up to them. I get excited when I get an A. Even better when the teacher keeps the project to display. Your only project right now is twins! I love the contraction comments!!
Oh ya, that is stressful! Personally I think these little kids bring home way too much homework. I don't remember having homework in Elementary school and I turned out fine... didn't I?
Post a Comment