This is Sherri. I met her in college. I consider Sherri a hero. It's been a little over a year since she was diagnosed with breast cancer. It was a huge blow to my mind to learn she had cancer. She had enough health complications as it was. It just didn't seem right that she had to go through all the cancer crap. Rather than dwelling on the struggles, Sherri would rather talk about all the blessings she's had in her life. It's not that she looks at this world through rose colored glasses. She'll say things are hard but she says it with strength rather than pity. She's the kind of friend who makes you feel like you're worth 100 bucks. I could really talk about her forever but what I want to do is share this poem she wrote. Sherri wrote this poem, sent it into Ladies Home Journal, and won a bedroom makeover! Isn't that the coolest ever? She TOTALLY deserves it. I am so happy for her. Here is her poem:I have cancer. Or does it have me?
The battle has begun, so we’ll just have to see!
I’m 36 years young, with a husband, daughter, and a son.
It’s hard, sometimes, to do what we’re told;
I’ve had to learn to surrender and reach for outstretched hands to hold.
SIMPLIFY is my mantra.
Sleeping in holds no guilt, nor shame.
And instead of waiting for the storm to pass,
I’m trying to dance in the rain!
I wave to bald-headed friends at starting lines of Races for Cures.
We may look goofy, but this is no club for sissies,
only the strong and pure!
So I fight, and hang on tight,
and dream of sleeping on a new Serta tonight!
My night stands are plastic, we have no dresser drawers;
and my comforter, well, it’s 12 years old!
For me, a bedroom makeover would be more valuable and healing than gold!
I do have to say one more thing about Sherri. On her blog, she put up pictures of herself when she lost all her hair. I felt that was a statement of complete self-acceptance. It was like she was saying "nothing is going to tear me down!" Just tonight, Andy and my mom were trying to talk me into taking my picture, pregnant and all. "No way!" I was telling them. Well, what a wimp I am! If Sherri can share her picture with no hair, I can take a picture with two babies in my tummy. It hasn't happened yet but I accept the challenge.
Thanks for everything Sherri!! I love ya!!
3 comments:
That's so cool! I'm such a whiner!! Do you have a link to her blog? After my girlfriend lost her hair with breast cancer, she said "when you have hair, there's no such thing as a bad hair day!" I'd love to see a pregger picture!
I'm so glad she's doing well. She truely is an amazing girl. And YEA!! on the bedroom makeover...no one deserves it more!
I thought the world of Sherri clear back in our college days. I'm glad she is doing well. How neat that you two have kept in touch all these years.
Post a Comment