Thursday, July 30, 2009

Ode To....ME!

Today is the day, the big 40. Though people have tried to tell me that I'm "old", I refuse to believe it. Really, how different is the day I turn 40 than any other day of my life? When I was 39 I was changing 8 diapers a day, when I am 40, I will be doing the same. Life goes on despite my birthday, despite my age. What I really wanted to share with you is a quote I read from Tuesdays With Morrie:

As you grow old, you learn more. If you stayed at twenty-two, you'd always be as ignorant as you were at twenty-two. Aging is not just decay, you know. It's growth.

Aging hasn't bothered me ever since I read that quote. I am grateful for life. I'm grateful for each day that I can learn and grow. So today, I will celebrate my life and be grateful for everyone who has been a part of my life and everyone who is a part of it today.


I picked up a bag of these this morning to celebrate the day. Yum!

11 comments:

 Amelia Darling said...

Happy Happy birthday my dear friend. Wish the Vegas trip had worked out but hopefully you've found another way to celebrate today. As someone who is a full 7 months older, I can share my wisdom that being 40 IS just like 39. Funny how 40 doesn't look the way it did to me at 30 :-)

jane said...

Happy Birthday! Hope you have a great day!

Annemarie said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Those chocolate dipped pretzles are fabulous. Fab.u.lous.

Jayci said...

Happy Happy Birthday! It's good to see you acknowledging the good things about a birthday, rather than the bad things. I'm turning 29 in less than two weeks and I'm freaking about it. Anyway - have a wonderful day!!!

Patrick said...

Happy Birthday Alison.... Welcome to the 40 club... not really a big deal after the birthday... with all those little kids, they'll keep you young for a long time to come.
Cheers

Katie said...

Happy Birthday Alison! I'm sorry I missed your birthday lunch today!!! I totally spaced it! I hope you have an excellent day!

Gretchie Love said...

Happy Birthday Alison !! Have fun with Momma Mia !!

Unknown said...

Happy Birthday. I agree with you, I am definitely glad I am in the place I am now and not 10 years ago. Thanks for the quote.

diane said...

Excellent way to celebrate.

40 is young. I hope you had a fun day, despite all the diapers.

Shan said...

Happy 40th to you!!! Love that quote and that book and movie. And 8 diapers a day? Wow that is a lot of stink... And a lot of blessings, too.
Hoping you did have a wonderful birthday lunch. That sounds really nice.

mariana said...

well, you are rocking 40 my dear! you look great, and are doing a job that would frazzle out young 22year old moms. way to go!