The thought of a retreat sounds divine. When I think of a retreat I think of a weekend away with girlfriends. We laugh, talk, and eat. After the retreat I feel rejuvenated and ready to go back to motherhood. A couple of weeks ago I learned that "retreat" also means a type of root canal. It's a root canal that has already had a root canal. Makes me a little ticked at the previous dentist for doing a crappy job the first time. Have you had a root canal? They aren't pleasant. There's something horrid about a drill going up into my tooth. As the Dr. drilled and jabbed, I clenched my fists in fear that the Dr. was going to hit a nerve that hadn't been numbed. With this piece of plastic covering my mouth I couldn't see any of the tools. I could only feel the pressure of the jamming and hear the drill drilling. Two hours of it makes for a long day. It ain't no retreat with my friends! I had the first part of the root canal done a couple of weeks ago. The Dr. expressed some concern that he was seeing black on paper he was shoving into my roots. He wanted to keep some medicine in my roots and I'd come back and see him in a couple of weeks. Isn't that reassuring when your Dr. says there's black up in your roots? So I went back yesterday to finish the process. This time he mentioned that he can see a piece of the file that had been lost in my canal the very first time I had the root canal. The file was a very thin piece of wire or metal of some sort. When the first Dr. was jamming it up my roots it must have broken off. The dentist told me that he can't get it out, it would be too hard to retrieve it. I guess I'm lucky that a metal detector hasn't gone off because of the metal that is permanently stuck in my mouth. I understand that there are a lot worse things in life. My next door neighbor is going through chemotherapy. That is bad. But I am going to take a brief moment to express my discomfort for the couple of hours I sat in that dental chair. Next week I am going to Vegas. Now that is my kind of retreat!!!
Thursday, October 30, 2008
Retreat
The thought of a retreat sounds divine. When I think of a retreat I think of a weekend away with girlfriends. We laugh, talk, and eat. After the retreat I feel rejuvenated and ready to go back to motherhood. A couple of weeks ago I learned that "retreat" also means a type of root canal. It's a root canal that has already had a root canal. Makes me a little ticked at the previous dentist for doing a crappy job the first time. Have you had a root canal? They aren't pleasant. There's something horrid about a drill going up into my tooth. As the Dr. drilled and jabbed, I clenched my fists in fear that the Dr. was going to hit a nerve that hadn't been numbed. With this piece of plastic covering my mouth I couldn't see any of the tools. I could only feel the pressure of the jamming and hear the drill drilling. Two hours of it makes for a long day. It ain't no retreat with my friends! I had the first part of the root canal done a couple of weeks ago. The Dr. expressed some concern that he was seeing black on paper he was shoving into my roots. He wanted to keep some medicine in my roots and I'd come back and see him in a couple of weeks. Isn't that reassuring when your Dr. says there's black up in your roots? So I went back yesterday to finish the process. This time he mentioned that he can see a piece of the file that had been lost in my canal the very first time I had the root canal. The file was a very thin piece of wire or metal of some sort. When the first Dr. was jamming it up my roots it must have broken off. The dentist told me that he can't get it out, it would be too hard to retrieve it. I guess I'm lucky that a metal detector hasn't gone off because of the metal that is permanently stuck in my mouth. I understand that there are a lot worse things in life. My next door neighbor is going through chemotherapy. That is bad. But I am going to take a brief moment to express my discomfort for the couple of hours I sat in that dental chair. Next week I am going to Vegas. Now that is my kind of retreat!!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
No "retreat" would be complete without hanging out with 4 little girls under the age of 4 for a couple of hours afterwards.
THANK YOU!!
Um, sounds like a good lawsuit!
could this effect your magnetic personality?
you deserve a retreat after all of that crap!
Do you remember that time in Lake Tahoe after you'd had a tooth removed and they left gauze packed in it and it was causing a lot of painful pressure and when you pulled out the bloody mess, blood came out and the pressure went away and I was really glad because I didn't want to take you home or to the emergency room plus I was VERY glad you weren't in pain and I was kind of grossed out and.... enough of this memory lane. I hope you're feeling better!
Oh my gosh. I hate the dentist and have needed an appointment for a while....you've talked me out of making that call for at least another week!
Post a Comment