Friday, June 6, 2008

A Very LOOOONG Week

How did I kill my laptop? I was giving Claire a bath. The bathtub got too full. It slipped down from the sink and water went on my counter, going on my laptop. My hands were full, I had a baby full of shampoo and a wet laptop. Luckily, Michael was watching me and he grabbed the computer and dried it off the best he could. When I finished the baths I tried to turn the laptop on. It was dead. I was mortified. My stomach had a sick feeling. What should I do? This computer had been my life for months. My escape. My companion. My friend. (I know, I'm desperate) After getting advice from two experts I did the following.... Turn the laptop upside down and shake the water out. Take the battery out. Allow it to dry for a couple of days. Luckily, there was no water that came out when I turned it upside down. Anyway, I couldn't sleep well that night. I kept dreaming that I would turn my computer on and it would work. I woke up to feed the babies, there wasn't anything to do. I was worried sick. Plus, how was I going to take my laptop to the Apple Store with 5 kids? How was I going to pay for this repair? This morning, day two, I took the laptop out and turned it on. Sweet Mother of Pearl my laptop worked!!!!!! What a miracle. I haven't noticed one problem. Blessed be Apple.

Now that that I have made this short story long, I will tell you about the longest 5 days I've had since who-knows-when. Since last week. No seriously, this has been longest 5 days. It all started Monday, the first weekday my kids were out of school. I feel like I've been slapped in face with the realization that I have 5 kids. Here are some things my kids have said this week...
  • Mom, I'm bored.
  • Mom, can I have tons of candy to eat?
  • Mom, I'm hungry
  • Mom, can I play with a friend that lives 5 miles away so you can figure out how I can get there?
  • Mom, Maggie is all the way down the street wearing just her underwear.
  • Mom, I'm sick.
  • Mom, who can I play with?
  • Mom, I'm bored.
  • I don't want to help you.
  • Where's my......?
  • BlaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhWaaaaaaaaaa!!!! (baby cries)
As a Mom, I've learned I always have to be thinking ahead. For example, I have to pick up the kids from basketball camp and while I am out I will run errands but I also have to think about what time the babies last ate and bring bottles, diapers, etc. If I run an errand will I have to bring ALL the kids in with me or leave them in the car (I KNOW, it's illegal). So keep in mind that I'm constantly trying to plan ahead with all the things I have done this week:
  • Take the babies to their two month well-check (that's two co-payments by the way).
  • Pick the boys up from basketball camp.
  • Take the boys to another camp.
  • Take Max to reading class.
  • Go to Costco with twins and one son (will never do that again).
  • Feed all 5 children.
  • Keep track of all 5 children.
  • Realize that 3 of 5 children have probably eaten candy for meals this week.
  • With in one hour son cuts his hand, dad takes him to get stitches. Deal with two screaming babies, decide to bath them. Water spills on computer, it dies.
  • Go to eat a bag of chocolate chips and realize I am trying to lose weight, dang it!!
Since this has been a long week, I am going to make this blog LONGER. The following are events that made up for all the chaos that happened this week...
  • My neighbor tells me she'll be sending her daughters over every day to help me with my kids, house cleaning, etc.
  • My neighbor (same one) takes the twins every Monday night so I can sleep.
  • My friend surprises me with dinner and helps me clean my kitchen.
  • My friend invites all of us over to hang out at her house. This means I don't have to stay inside and deal with the daily bouts of chaos.
  • My computer turned on!!!!
  • My friend came to visit, bringing a cute gift.
See, it all evens out in the end. Doesn't it seem like once we are all adjusted to school being out it's time for school to start?

3 comments:

Gretchie Love said...

wait until you find absolutely cutie pahtootie outfits...and you have to buy two !! I am glad you survived the week...you can send Maggie here. I am sure that things will get easier for you :)

Annemarie said...

I need a nap after reading that.

diane said...

I'm glad you have good friends.
Day camp rocks!
I'm so glad your laptop is still kicking. I need my Think Pink fix.