Friday, July 18, 2008

Drug of Choice




I was talking on the phone with my friend Mariana. Her Diet Coke spilled on her floor while we were talking. I told her I would get a her new one while I was out. She mentioned something about paying for it. I told her I'd buy it for her. She sounded surprised. I said that sisters-in-the-drink don't worry about the money we just get the drink for each other.

"This is blogworthy material," I thought to myself. An entire blog dedicated to my drug of choice, Diet Coke. If you are a DC drinker, you can totally relate to this. Here are some whatnot's about the drink...

1. I started drinking DC about 10 years ago, when I went on a diet. I drink it now whether I'm on a diet or not.

2. I work at a restaurant. Sometimes the servers are in the back wondering why heavy people eat a ton of food and still drink DC. DC is an acquired taste. I am betting most people start drinking it when they are trying to cut calories. Once you start drinking it, you can't stop. There's nothing like a cheeseburger and a DC.

3. When I was pregnant I couldn't drink DC. It made me sick. I could have stayed off of it after I had the babies but I didn't.

4. I prefer my drink on tap. The can is ok and the smaller size bottle is a little better.

5. DC doesn't always have the same taste. Something about the water and syrup mix. I do have my favorite place to get my fix. The best part about the place is it has a DRIVE THRU. Ya baby! McDonald's is a sure thing because it tastes the same at every restaurant.

6. When I drive up to get my fix the employee usually asks if I want a skinny or fat straw. I tell them it doesn't matter because I don't want to seem too picky. I prefer skinny straws.

7. Many people of my same faith think that drinking DC is a no-no. I don't care what they think.

8. I've never met a person who has permanently "gone off"DC. Those who have tried have gotten "back on". My friend Ryan was a big drinker. He now drinks Caffeine Free DC. That's the only person I know who has "gotten off", but he's not really "off".

9. While I was at work, a guest told me that DC is bad for your bones. I bet she works for Pepsi.

10. There's an unspoken understanding that DC drinkers have amongst ourselves. For example, your friend is having a bad day, bring her a DC. Going to a friends house to visit? Bring her a DC. Going to a church activity? Bring your own DC and an extra one for a fellow drinker. You don't pay your friend for the DC nor do you expect to be paid because you know that the favor will be returned.

11. Since I work for a church owned restaurant, I get lots of questions from guests about selling alcohol or coffee. Some people ask, "why don't you serve coffee but you serve soda with caffeine?" A co-worker asked a General Authority (leader in our church) what's the best answer to that question. He said that when the Word of Wisdom was established it specified coffee and tea. It never specified Coke. He said that it's the members choice to drink soda with or without caffeine. I chose with.

12. Finally, Coca Cola did not pay me to write this blog. If they need a spokesperson for the product, I'm all over it.

10 comments:

Annemarie said...

So does this mean you're never going to pay me back for the many I've delivered?
Great.

Brian said...

personally, cider through a straw takes the cake. But why not drink MD and go hard-core? Live a little.

I prefer water.

Gretchie Love said...

I love you Alison.....

diane said...

It's not DC that's bad for your bones, it's carbonation. How do I know this, I'm old...and my bones are 80.
Isn't there a book called DC?!

OneBrilliantGirl said...

Sure wish I would have had the GA's answer to the question about why they serve sodas w/ caffeine but not coffee...my mother in law NEEDED to hear that one!

Jayci said...

LOL!!! You are so funny! I know of many that have their own "drug of choice". I'm glad you can be so open about it! I personally HATE soda. I can't stand the carbonation!

Sherri B. said...

I always knew you were witty, but that's some mighty fine dialogue right there! How in the world did you have time to think that up? If that ever got on the LDS internet highway, you would be opening a door for a lot of people to out of the closet.

I don't have a preference between DC and DP - as long as they have lemon or lime in them.

Mel said...

Awesome post!

I prefer it in a can
Sam I Am

Anonymous said...

thanx for the soda alison. my daughter spilled that dc trying to steal a drink. i'd like to give the world a dc... la la la la la. that is one fine endorsement. you should forward it to coca cola.

Shannon Smith said...

My name is Shannon, and I'm an ex-DC drinker. I have been clean for almost two years.

We were in Atlanta a week ago. The birthplace & headquarters of Coca-Cola. We went to their "museum" and Owen, at age 4, has become a devotee of the Coca-Cola brand. Now everytime he sees those words on a sign, cup, etc. he wants a Coke. They're a clever company. Get them while they're young!

There is only one place that I REALLY miss DC. When I go to Brewvies, I sniff Dallas's Diet Coke with freshly squeezed lime. Tempting, but not tempting enough!

Long live Fresca! (thankfully Corner has that on tap!)