Monday, August 3, 2009

Update on Kate



Ketchup for dinner anyone? Kate had her first doctor's appointment today. She saw a pediatric opthamologist who checked her eyes for lesions. The Dr. said that lesions in the eyes contribute to the diagnosis of neurofibromatosis. Fortunately, her eyes are clear! A huge relief for us. Unfortunately, this doesn't mean she is free from the condition. We still have to visit the pediatric dermatologist to see what he thinks about the marks on her belly and back. Another bummer is that he wants to see us again in year to recheck her eyes. I was hoping this would be a "yes or no" diagnosis but it looks like we will have to be watching this for a while. I was very appreciative of the care of the doctor that examined Kate. He said, "your job as a parent is to raise your children. It's our job to worry about your child's health. Don't obsess about this." August 17th is our next appointment. On with the summer...

5 comments:

Carin Davis said...

I love the perspective of her doctor! We thought about her all day Sunday! What wonderful news!!!!

Annemarie said...

She is so precious. I suddenly have a craving for ketchup...

Great doctor! I'm so glad he said that to you.

Mel said...

Which ophthalmologist did you see? I'm glad it is good news! Keep me posted.

Emily said...

Whew! I'm sure you are relieved!

Re: Her ketchup face picture~ I can see that her eyes (from here in my living room) are perfect and beautiful in every way. What a precious girl Kate is!

Lindsay said...

I just read about Kate, how scary for you. I'm so glad things went well at the doctor. We will keep her in our thoughts and prayers!