Friday, August 7, 2009

8 is Great...If your name is Michael

Michael celebrated his 8th birthday yesterday. I can honestly say I don't know exactly what to say about this child. Maybe...if they are yours then you love them. I would not say love has been a word in my vocabulary this week. ENTITLEMENT is better. You'd think Michael Jackson had his will-and-trust read and my son had inherited millions. This week he's acted like a little smarty pants thinking that he's-all-that-and-more. Our lives should revolve around him because it's his birthday. I've made it very clear that is not true. In fact, here's my blog confession. I was SO MAD at this little boy I called him a pain-in-the-ass. I did. I HAD it with his attitude. There were brief moments of guilt as I reviewed the incidence in my head. I wondered how much our future counseling session would cost when he confronts me about "swearing" at him. But these were just moments. While I was at the store in the early morning I got a call from him on my cell phone:

Michael: Mom when are you coming home?

Me: in a minute.

Michael: what are you getting?

Me: just some food.

Michael: don't you have something you want to say to me?

Me: hope you have a good day?

Micheal: no....

Me: Happy Birthday?

Michael: thank you.

I'm certain that this entitlement thing he's going through has come from his father. How could I ever raise a child like this?

But I have to admit, by the end of the day, he was pretty cute. He was very appreciative to everyone who brought him presents (he got a lot and he didn't even have a party). Cute Cori across the street took him to the movies for his birthday. Just Cori and Michael went. It melted my heart that she would think to invite him to do that for his birthday. By the end of the day I actually loved the kid. Happy 8th to my little scout.

1 comment:

Annemarie said...

This story was even better the second time around.

Happy Birthday Michael!