During a 3 am feeding I ran across this newspaper article. Basically, it's about a SAHM who makes a living blogging. They estimate her monthly revenue could be $40,000 a month! Her husband quit his job in 2005 to do all the advertising that goes along with her blog. I know that my blog is worth $40,000 a month but I don't take it that seriously. If you go to her blog you will see that she gets over 200 comments on each post. I don't know what that would be like, I get around 4 comments. And I appreciate every one of those comments. I love comments but have learned that I can't base my self-worth on comments. I could only do that if I received 200 + comments that fed my ego.
This brings me to explaining one of the reasons why I started blogging. I am a big XM radio fan. I especially enjoy listening to Oprah and Friends, XM 156. I haven't listened to radio for weeks but that has nothing to do with this story. I like the Gayle King show. One day I was listening to her show and decided I would call and leave a message telling Gayle how I felt about a topic she was discussing. That day I received a call from her show and asked if I wanted to share my comment with her. You bet! I was so excited to talk to Gayle King and share my all-important opinion with her. I knew we would bond immediately. I couldn't sleep. I canceled an appointment just to talk to her. The time came, her show called me and I was ready to talk. I waited and waited and waited. Finally, it was my turn. I followed protocol: I didn't ask how she was doing and I didn't tell her how much I loved her show. Then I spoke. I said hello and I said two sentences. That was it. She then took over the rest of the conversation. I didn't get another word in. I tried to say something. She cut me off and said goodbye. I was in disbelief. What about our bonding? What about my whit and great sense of humor? What about being flown to NY to be guest on her show? I realized that this was Gayle's radio show and it was really about her, not about me. She likes what she has to say and has the chance to say it to all XM listeners. I don't have that chance. That's where my blog comes in. I can say what I want, when I want, and I'm content with that. It's my blog and I can say what I want to. I'll take my 4-8 comments and run with them. It's worth $40,000 to me. Who knows, maybe Gayle King will read my blog and post a comment. I'd let her do that and it can be more than 2 sentences.
16 comments:
I love, love your blog! You go girl! You are keeping it real out here in blogland! Thanks for your refreshing voice.
I was on the radio once. It made me giddy! Oh the power of the airwaves! I was talking about how to conceive a girl...but you are good at that!
I'm coming next Tuesday. Maybe I can see the babies while I'm there, oh and you too!
Now you only need a couple more comments! Happy to oblige!
Well
let me
help
with the
comment
thing...
I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE your blog!
And it is Gayle King's loss that she didn't get to bond with you!
Okay, you know how much I dislike ANYTHING that has to do with Oprah and how she personally dissed me. Just be grateful you got two words in...instead of completely ignoring you when she is right in front of your face. YOUR BLOG ROCKS ALISON !!
Alison! I love your blog! You are a good writer and a funny person! Keep up the good work!
um, i just have to say thank you thankyou for letting me get to see your babies! i know i didn't ask, but they are so yummy! I can't even tell you how baby hungry it made me to hold those tiny little things! and I am so glad that I finally got to meet you, even if it was very brief!
You're very funny Alison. I never knew you were this funny. The best part of our relationship is that I can hear your laugh in my head when I'm reading your posts which makes me laugh even more. I wish we lived closer :-)
Post a Comment