Sunday, January 30, 2011

I See France

In France, we stayed at the Hotel Lotti. We took the Eurostar from London to Paris. When I first got into our taxi, I was in culture shock. The apartments in the city looked similar to this:

It was almost like a dream to me. I've only seen buildings like this in movies and maybe a theme park? But this was the real deal. It was amazing. In fact, my favorite thing about Europe was it's charm.

Culture shock again. The Eiffel Tower was HUGE! Only in pictures had I seen it. I took a picture of it from this angle for size effect.


Oh my gosh. This had to be the best bread and butter EVER!!! I have never enjoyed slabbing the whole entire chunk of butter on a roll, but I could have even eaten it raw!



The Sacre Coeur. Though our trip in France started getting "churchie" as Gretchen put it, the churches were phenomenal! Highlights of this church was hearing the nuns sing and giving their sermon in French. Also, inside joke with Gretchen, free babysitting and free wifi. At the Sacre Coeur we watched the sunset on the Eiffel Tower. I loved watching the lights sparkle on the hour. I wonder how much it costs to light that gigantic thing. I googled and and have yet to find out.



Ahh..Notre Dame. My favorite part of visiting this church was watching my mom study it. It was a dream come true for her. She studied this building when she was younger. She knew everything about it and I tried to get as much information from her as I could.



Another shocker for me....no, not the nude statue, well..maybe the nude statue. It's the fact that there are statues all over Paris. You go through the parks and it's full of statues. The park I go to has a slide and a swing.

The McCafe. I went in to get a diet coke at McDonald's and I passed this bakery section of McDonald's. Wow, we only have hot fudge sundaes and apple pies at my local McDonald's.

Another highlight was going to the Monet display at the Grand Palais. Just clicking on my link and going through the online tour is incredible. (Note to Katy, since you have high speed internet and a new MacBook, you can watch it too!)

Last but not least, here's a picture of "the tunnel". You know what I'm talking about right? Give it your best shot.

3 comments:

Misty said...

I was surprised the Eiffel Tower lit up. I had no idea! We actually went up it at night to see the city that way. Pretty cool. Loved Notre Dame and ditto about the statues. My fav food there? Chocolate croissants to die for. And the tunnel -- did you drive to France from England? That tunnel?

mariana said...

no, this is the pricess di tunnel. the one she crashed in...right? right? did i win?

Michelle said...

Based on the what was found on this webpage http://www.tour-eiffel.com/everything-about-the-tower/the-illuminations ... it costs about $12 per night or $4,380 per year to light the tower.