Monday, May 25, 2009

A Memorial Day Memory



I've been thinking about a Memorial Day I had many many years ago. I was a junior in high school, living in Northern California. My friends and I decided to celebrate our day off of school by going to our closest beach, Santa Cruz. We piled in her Volkswagen Bus and went to our destination. Who didn't want a tan in high school? We set up our towels and got down to business....baby oil. I smeared baby oil all over myself, from head to toe. From 10 am to 4 pm I fried myself in the sun. I wondered why beach patrons would quietly say "look at that sunburn". Needless to say, I had blisters all over my face and body. I was in so much pain I couldn't go to school the next day and I had to call into work sick. No wonder the dermatologist recently told me I had pre-cancer skin cells on my face. Silly me.

I never really did anything too crazy in high school. Other than fry myself, I fried my hair. Why waste my time using Sun-In to lighten my hair? I just got the job done fast by using hydrogen peroxide. That along with my home kit perm, made a scary mess. Oh to be young....

2 comments:

Mel said...

LOL. I did the "sun in" thing and turned my hair into a bleached out mess.

Jenny said...

I used to sit in the sun for hours everyday so I could have that perfect tan. I'm sure I'll be paying for it in a couple years when I have skin cancer! Duh...