Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Agh!!! (a high pitched scream)

I was playing with Kate on the floor this morning. I was thinking about what a cutie she was as she was laughing and flapping her arms with happiness. Then I did my mental check that I do about 1,000 times a day:

Where is Claire? She's in the same room. (check)

The floor is clear of choking hazards. (check)

She's not getting into to trouble. (uh oh, uncheck)

Claire has something on her face. Something that doesn't look like food. Something that looks like....dirt.

You know how window sills seem to collect things? You know, things like dust, dirt, and flies?



Claire had just eaten a sample of dirt, dust, and flies from the sliding glass door. I quickly grabbed a paper towel to wipe her face clean and noticed a leg from some sort of insect. Look, I try. I do. I am constantly doing "checks". I am always trying to keep the floor clean of choking hazards. I just never thought that her cute little fingers would think of digging in the cracks by the door. Oh, what's a little extra protein? (with a look of terror and disgust on my face as I write this)

7 comments:

Misty said...

That just gave me the heebie jeebies!! It's always funnier when it's someone else's child, though. :)

Annemarie said...

EWWWWWW!

Gretchie Love said...

Oh my gosh ! I can totally relate !!

diane said...

Mmmm tasty.

I had to call poison control 3 times for Jordan. I was afraid they would come take him away. Some kids just have to eat anything.

Cathy said...

That is funny! Lily was walking around outside for the first time. And since she really likes Kix lately I had to fish some deer poop out of her mouth. Just think of all of the nutrition!!! ha!

 Amelia Darling said...

Reminds me of the time I dug the insides of a snail out of it's shell and mom was freaking out 'cause the stuff wouldn't come off my finger.

Shan said...

So now the twins are mobile. How old are they now? I kept picturing little Claire with a fly leg hanging out of her mouth. She probably was grinning or at least giving you the ah-oh look. So how do you keep track of them? Well, at least between them and Maggie, your floors get cleaned. Maybe they could start wearing little bells around their necks, like little sheep to signal where they are? OK, maybe not...