Tuesday, February 10, 2009

I Can't Sleep

This morning I was thinking that I might have OCD. I've been completely obsessed with the Petcoke Burning Power Plant that is proposed to be built several miles from my house. A petcoke plant is basically a plant made to burn the leftovers after oil has been refined into gasoline. I've never been worried about something like this before.

I rarely slept last week because I've had sick kids. I can't get this picture out of mind: My son suddenly has a look of panic on his face. He is gasping for air. He is completely pale. He can't breath. He needs help. I rush to grab his machine. I feel like can't get it ready soon enough. Finally, the machine has started and he feels relief. As his mother, I am a wreck. Not only am I helping him, I have my daughter sticking her hands in a dirty toilet. I have another son who needs to go to school. I have another daughter asking for breakfast. I am spread thin.

If this Petcoke Power plant is built, I worry about the health of my children. I worry about the health of your children. I would never want anyone to deal with an emergency episode that I just had. If this plant comes, I am afraid people will. I know that families have dealt with worse. Air pollution mutates cancer cells in children that cannot be reversed. Air pollution decreases the intelligence of children, increases risks in heart attacks and strokes. This proposed plant is said to bring a 40% increase of air pollution to certain areas of my community. (this information was introduced as a source of information not as fear)

Not only am I worried about my friends who live in my city, I worry about my friends and family who live in other areas of this state. When the wind blows, the hazardous chemicals will blow near and far.

I also worry that people aren't really understanding what this project is all about. I think people don't want it but don't really understand the details of WHY they don't want it. My friend told me her relative said "Yeah, I have heard about it but just don't want to do anything." I wonder if people will want to do something once they see the 250 ft. (at least) smoke stack in their backyard.

I am angry with the evil snakes who have slid this project in under our noses. There is no way this plant would be coming to our community if people knew the hard facts before hand.

I really like the post my friend CATHY wrote.

So here's the deal. I am including a form letter and email addresses and asking YOU to help. Even if you don't live in my state, please email these government officials and ask them to stop this petcoke plant. It will take a few extra minutes from your day but it will be so appreciated!

Thanks! Now that I have gotten this out, I'll try to lose my OCD.

email address of elected officials you can email:

Gov. John Huntsman http://governor.utah.gov/goca/form_governor.html

Sen. Dan Linjenquist: dliljenquist@utahsenate.org
Sen. Sheldon Killpack: skillpack@utahsenate.org
Sen. Gregory Bell: gbell@utahsenate.org
Rep. Roger Barrus: rogerbarrus@utah.gov
Rep. Sheryl Allen: sherylallen@utah.gov
Rep. Becky Edwards: beckyedwards@utah.gov
Rep. Julie Fisher: jfisher@utah.gov
Rep. Paul Ray: pray@utah.gov
Mayor James Behunin: jbehunin@gmail.com

SAMPLE LETTER:

To Whom It May Concern:

My name is _________________ and I live in _____________, Utah. I am writing to express my opposition to the proposed Consolidated Energy Utah, LLC cogeneration, petcoke-burning power plant to be built on Holly Refinery property in West Bountiful, Utah. The Utah Division of Air Quality has issued an Intent to Permit and I strongly urge you to exert whatever influence you have to ensure that this plant is never permitted or built.

I oppose this plant on three grounds. First, petcoke, is a “bottom-of-the-barrel” by-product of the oil refining process that burns dirtier than coal, with a higher carbon and sulfur content than coal. I stand firmly opposed to this particular fuel source. Burning Petcoke emits numerous Hazardous Air Pollutants (HAPs) including mercury, vanadium, lead. nickel and benzene, among others. These substances will harm my health and the health of my children, as HAPs are known cancer causers and can produce long-term neurological deficits in children, including reduced IQ and brain damage. This cannot be the future that we are even thinking about passing along to the children of Utah - one filled with toxic air and increased pollution. I believe that we can and should do better.

Second, in light of existing industry, freeways and a very unique valley geography, South Davis County cannot house one more major industrial polluter. In South Davis County alone, there are three major oil refineries, a medical waste incineration plant and two major closely-paralleling freeways. The current annual point source emissions for Holly Refinery, the proposed site for the power plant, are over two million pounds a year, including sulfur dioxide, nitrogen dioxide, carbon monoxide and volatile organic compounds (VOCs), all of which contribute to poor air quality that lead to increased respiratory and cardiac health problems during our extended inversions in Davis County. We should not allow another point source for pollution on Holly Refinery property that will emit nearly another million pounds annually of these PM10 pollutants. We have reached the tipping-point in South Davis County. The health of our children cannot afford for those delegated permitting-power to get this wrong.

Finally, construction of a petcoke-burning power plant will have serious adverse economic consequences for South Davis County. People in other communities around the country that are located near petcoke-burning power plants have complained about windborne petcoke ash and dirty smokestack emissions that have blackened their homes and neighborhoods. It is likely that home values will decline and businesses will not be willing to locate in South Davis County due to the additional pollution and health risks.

I sincerely hope you share my vision for a brighter, healthier and cleaner future for all Utahns. Please take action today by doing what you can to stop this petcoke burning plant from being built where over 100,000 men, women and children’s health will be directly and adversely affected by projected emissions.

Respectfully Yours,

6 comments:

Cathy said...

Alison, I've already had two sleepless nights. Hopefully we can stop this thing from going in. Way to fight for a good cause! Thanks for letting me know more about it.

Patrick said...

Way to get involved Alison... with your hands so full with kids and life, this is an impressive undertaking. Good luck.

Anonymous said...

i will get on the program tomorrow alison. today was not good for me. i'm glad you are going to this effort for all of us. thanks!

Shan said...

Stewart said to say that maybe you don't have OCD, that's just motherhood. You do sound like you've been spread thinly. Also, to watch the movie Erin Brocovich (sp?) with Julia Roberts. It was made years ago. I can't remember if I've seen it but supposed to be about a mother who fights a large toxic waste company or something? (I'll have to look it up). And I will write and definitely support the cause, too. You made it easier by putting in the form letter and address.

Shan said...

I just looked up Erin Brockovich. The movie is rated R. I change my mind about recommending it. (I haven't seen it either). But FYI there is an "official Erin Brockovich" website...

Anonymous said...

This is bad news. But good for you for fighting it. Hope you are all feeling better there.