Friday, September 11, 2009

Um...Yeah....

Image provided by my new phone (woot woot!).

This week hasn't been the greatest. I have daily challenges that I often express but this is beyond daily challenges. On Tuesday was the Dr.'s appointment with Kate. Talk about emotional! I went into the appointment, alone, only to be thrown for a loop. I told Andy he didn't need to go because I felt like the appointment would be inconclusive. Instead, I faced three medical professionals telling me all about this condition they believe Kate has. It wasn't pretty. I felt as though I was the victim on the show Intervention.

On Wednesday, Max decided to run away from home. He had gotten in trouble for drinking paint water at school. He was scared to tell us so he ran away instead. Of course I knew NOTHING about this. After an hour and a half of not being able to find him we finally called the police to ask for their help. I had friends and neighbors making phone calls, searching neighborhoods, searching my house over and over again. A parents worse nightmare, we really thought he had been kidnapped. He was found at his school hiding in the oak. Lots of tears, a huge sigh of relief, and prayers of gratitude!

My new motto in life is "don't sweat the small stuff". I have learned we have to pick and choose the things in life that are REALLY worth worrying over. Claire was stung by a bee yesterday, that was nothing. Today, I had all three kids in their car seats, dressed to the nines, ready to go to Target, and the car battery died! Who cares? What's most important is I have 5 amazing children, a fabulous husband, and amazing family and friends. Plus, I don't think that Diet Coke and ice-cream will be leaving the shelves anytime soon.

8 comments:

Mel said...

I need to remember your motto when I get tied up in knots over the silly stuff. I'm sorry you've had a rough week. Glad the kids are all home safe;)

Misty said...

Oh my goodness, Alison!! My kids have threatened to run away many times but have never made it past the end of our street. That story isn't as bad as Brittany Odom's story about losing Kamille. If you haven't heard it, let me know. It involves policemen, Amber alerts, shutting down Walmart .... good stuff.

Annemarie said...

It's been waaay too long since we've talked...

Carin Davis said...

My heart was racing for you...just reading this...

Not sweating the small stuff + diet coke + ice cream sounds like a perfect plan! I need to follow your lead!

We need to have a playdate at the park before it starts snowing!

Katy said...

Alison, you are a trooper. Your realistic outlook, common sense, good humor and optimism will see you through!!

Cathy said...

The diet coke and ice cream therapy sounds great! How about making a diet coke ice cream float? :-) What my mom always said, "If I didn't laugh, I would definitely cry."

Anonymous said...

Oh Ali, sign me up for the "no sweating club"! Sending hugs to all of you. The oak tree huh? Oak are symbolic right? I guess they represent fidelity and fulfillment...hopefully Max will feel fulfilled in his accomplishing the task and not feel the need to repeat it! :) As for sweet Kate...oh give her a huge hug. And I do think her belly is just darling! luv, trina

Sheri said...

OK - I don't know the whole story, but, he got in trouble for drinking paint water. Is it possible that the school could have just shown concern for him and the choice he made. Maybe use it as a time to teach some science about the effects of paint on the human body, or maybe he was just being really beligerant. I'm so pleased to hear it all turned out well. Love You!

Sheri