Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Just Say "No" to the Divo!


A whole lot of meaning goes a long way with the title of this blog. First, since females are called Diva's, I am calling this 6 year old critter a Divo. And no, there's no relationship to the group Divo. Last week was his birthday and I don't know if we had everyone in the city bring him a present, he'd be happy. By 12 noon, he mentioned how many people had called him and wished him a happy birthday. He expected everyone to give him a present. Boy, it would be nice if he showed a little gratitude. We all got a kick out him when we heard him singing Happy Birthday to himself as he opened his popsicle. Somehow his birthday ended up lasting the whole week. Next year, I will make it half a day. You better believe that next year he will remember it lasted a week.
Just say no, one of my dear friends will know what this means. I am sure that I helped create this monster because I have the hardest time telling him "no". My recent frustrations with his attitude have caused me to say it to him over and over again. There have been a few times that I have had to pull him out of the store, kicking and screaming, because of the word no. In someway, I feel like a proud parent as everyone is watching me pull him out.
I think the reason I struggle saying no is that there is probably some sort of conflict that is from my past that makes me cringe when I am faced with the turmoil. I just have to deal with it, because my previous methods have not brought "functional" results. Saying no has given me a feeling of control that I have lost since having kids. I have to admit that I will miss my 1st grader when he starts going to all-day school this fall.
Now, my secret confession is a must for my blog. Only three more days until the premiere of High School Musical 2! Wahoo!!
My time is up and next time I will have to write about two days, two boys with the "runs".

1 comment:

Mel said...

He's cute! I can see why it would be hard to say no to him. Your a great mom!

We too are excited about High School Musical 2!