Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Meeting Invite

I've decided to start blogging about my addiction journey on this blog. Although, it's a very sensitive subject for many (including myself), I believe the addiction to food is real and one that we can overcome. Here is a letter I emailed my friends yesterday. I am inviting everyone to attend this meeting to hear success stories from people who have fought to overcome their addiction. Hope you can come. You aren't committed once you come, I am only providing a path to help us overcome a struggle that many of us deal with.

 Hello Friends!

As many of you know, I have recently lost 40 lbs. I thought I would share with you a bit about my journey. First of all, I am not trying to get you on a diet. I am not saying that I think you are fat. This isn't a way for me to earn money. My hope is that if you know anyone who has struggled with weight, you might share this with them. I only send this to you because we have talked about my weight or we know someone who struggles. About 8 months ago I hit "rock bottom". You've seen me go up and down with weight. I had tried so many ways to lose weight, I was hopeless. To make a long story short, I ran into a woman who I saw on TV about the LDS Recovery Program, Nanette Wiggins. She has a food addiction. I know that meeting her was answer to a prayer, which was for me to seek peace of mind with the battle I have had for most of my life. Nanette introduced me to a program. This program is a sister-program to organizations such as Alcoholics Anonymous and Overeaters Anonymous. The difference with this program is that there is a specific meal plan to help one overcome addiction to food. It encourages people to abstain from eating flour and sugar which are foods that lead us to overeat and binge on food. It is not a specific religious base but does encourage us to turn to a Higher Power to relieve our burdens. This has been a spiritual journey for me more than anything. I have turned this addiction over to God and asked Him to help me through this. One might think that abstaining from flour and sugar is deprivation at it's finest (especially with the holidays upon us). I feel otherwise, I feel amazing. My mind is clear, I don't carry the burden of guilt from roller coaster dieting, I feel an overall sense of health that I have never felt before. The purpose of this email is to tell you that I am looking for people to be a part of this support group. There are no fees. We don't weigh in. Our group in Bountiful is quite small. Utah county has a large following. I'd love to get a bigger support group here. On Wednesday, November 14, there will be 4 women from Utah County who will come and speak to us about their journey and success with this program. I would love to have you come learn about it. If not for yourself, for a friend or family member that struggles with weight or if you don't quite understand why I eat the way I eat. These women are amazing. I feel like you will be inspired by their stories. This is not limited to women, there are plenty of men in the program as well.

The meeting will be held at this Wednesday at 7:15 PM

 40 E Pages Lane
 Centerville, UT 

Please pass this on to anyone who your think is interested. Like I said, I am not picking on you, I am asking to spread the word.

I also want to thank Neil and my friends at GPP who are allowing the group to use the building for our meetings.

Much Thanks,

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=296&sid=19827401
http://lds12stepreflections.wordpress.com
http://www.ceahow.org
http://gppfitness.com/

2 comments:

Peggy said...

Way to go! I'm wishing you the best of luck.

Janae' said...

thats awesome!