Monday, November 23, 2009

Reality Check

The other day a friend on Facebook wrote this on his status ...

I dropped my kids off at school today for the first time (my first time). I almost lost it when my baby girl gave me a big hug, looked up with a tear in her eye and in her sad voice said "bye, bye Daddy" Good thing I'm a man and I can control my emotions.

"Humm...", I thought, wishing I could drop ALL my kids off at school. My immediate response was, "You need to have more kids, then it won't be so hard."

Throughout the day I read other friends responses such as, "Been there. A precious moment u won't soon forget." or "that's pretty sweet".

As I read these, I contemplated my response and wondered if I was too negative. Should I feel guilty for being a bit heartless? Then I remembered the previous experience I had the day before when I dropped my kids off at school, it went something like this...

I'm driving the kids to school, they are being so nice to each other. No fighting, no snotty attitude, we aren't rushed, everything is going great. I say to my kids, "guys, I just want you to know I think you are awesome kids. I just really love you."

I pull up to the school. The regular drop-off area is totally full of cars so I say, "look, I'm going to drop you off right here instead of where all the cars are." Then the fun begins...

Kids: WHAT? NOO we are going to be late!!! Don't drop us off here!!! Mrs. Bird is gone and no one will walk us to the school! NO MOM!!!!!!!

Michael slams the door saying,"THANKS A LOT MOM, NOW WE ARE GOING TO BE LATE!!!"

Max, who had already left the car, gave me the meanest, crustiest look.

Did I feel guilty for saying that to my friend on Facebook? Not at all.


Did someone say New York? I am still lovin' my trip there...

This is my hero, Kipp. We stayed at his apartment and he helped us get to the bus station (that's how we got to Amy's wedding). We would have never gotten there if it wasn't for his city expertise. He looks like a hero, doesn't he?
This is where the wedding celebration took place. It was in Roscoe, New York.

Here's the beautiful bride, her beautiful mother, and moi.

Becky and I scrambled to get the tables set properly. I guess that's what happens when you work at a fine dining restaurant.
One of my favorite parts of the wedding was when this traditional Italian family sang and danced around the bride and groom to "That's Amore!"
Oh yeah..... I still got it!

4 comments:

jane said...

great pics! looks like a fun trip. its good to travel and see new things.

Katie said...

Yay! A new post!!! I think it's hilarious that you wrote that on his status. You crack me up!

Katy said...

Thanks for updating your blog! I love it!

 Amelia Darling said...

You are sooo funny!!! And always so right. Ummm, btw, your shoes are in the mail today, not two weeks ago like I said. Sorry!